Friday, February 27, 2009

The Reveal

Feb 24-26: I don't think the witty titles will last much longer

When we left our hero he promised us news, but he'll let you wait a little longer, at least until the end of this post. Tuesday was greeted with high hopes after an enjoyable evening with quality persona. The team drove about an hour south to the Grove Point Girl Scout camp near Cecilton, MD. Yup, Maryland has its hick parts as well. We stayed at one of the cabins with two bedrooms, a large cement floored living area and a decent kitchen. We got to work around noon and started painting. Remember when I said that we were going to do beach cleanup and woodsplitting? Yeah, not so much. We painted a white, concrete brick pool house white. It was hard to tell where you had already painted. Then on Wednesday and Thursday morning we painted the camp caretaker's house with 2 rollers and a bunch of 2in trim brushes. Slow going indeed. I'm really trying not to be cynical, but barely anyone had any painting experience and we received absolutely no training, not even a pamphlet and we were expected to handle ladders and paint a house. Hilarious. And where were to girl scouts? What was preventing them from painting? Why wasn't I painting a private citizens house instead of a private company? Especially when we were told that the paint on the house at the entrance would better attract customers? Questions that won't be answered in the next 9 months. I'll complain a little more later, and probably get a talking to because they monitor all the "blogs." Lick one big brother.
And now for the big news. For my first of four big trips I'll be going tooooooooo.............drumroll.............MARYLAND!111!!1!111 Yup. Joppa, Maryland. A half hour away from here, so we'll be living on campus. All of my housemates are going to Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana to do Habitat and such. I can't say I'm not incredibly jealous. I'll be a hall monitor and reading aid at an elementary school. Cushy. The silver lining is that our Unit Leader is trying to get a team to the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico and I know it's fleeting and futile, but I really hope I end up in a shack on St Thomas. I just want to work and collapse at night. I'll complain later about personal growth. I'm still happy, just lots of little inconsistencies and frustrations and it doesn't help that the guy I hang out with the most has liquid cynicism in his veins. But most, if not all is mollified but late night cuddle chats with a nice young lady. Good thing they give us just enough time to get to know people and then everyone departs. Cynicism: you can clean your oven with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment