Monday, February 23, 2009

Again

Feb 16-23: Weekness

So it’s been exactly a week. And tomorrow I’ll have been here exactly 3 weeks. Wowzers. Things are still pretty decent, but there’s not a whole lot to report from the last week. There’s just been a bunch of fairly boring lectures that could be summed up in about 15 minutes. Though some high points include learning how to run a disaster shelter and going to “Black and Decker University” in Towson. We basically got to play with reciprocating saws, impact drivers and nail guns for two and half hours.
And now for a little meat that people have been asking for.
1) I can now give you a small idea of something that I’m doing. Within our 8 person teams we have specialized roles. These include independent community service organizers, recruiters at large events, and team trainer. My buddy Dan and I are the team trainer. We’ll not only lead the team in physical training, but I’ll also be heading up “life training” for the team. I’ll basically be a life coach; helping people with their resumes, helping them with “life after Americorps,” organizing team building and workshop activities. Those last two things might sound a bit out of the ordinary for me, but this is supposed to be a learning experience.
2) I know where I’m going for my first journeys. I’ll only tell you about the first one to hold some suspense for my next post. I’ll be leaving tomorrow for 3 days to go to a girl scout camp somewhere in Maryland on the banks of the Sassafras river. Indeed. All I know for sure is that we’ll be cleaning up a beach, repairing screen doors, painting and possibly splitting wood. And I’ll big cooking for everyone, overall not a huge change. It’ll be a good primer for the rest of the year. Oh, and in case people were wondering, yes, finally after 3 weeks, I got some boots. They’re not the right size, and the insoles don’t come out, so I can’t put in the orthotics for my flat sasquatch feet. But at least they're boots and I'm fine with tasks, I just I hope other people are fine with me bitching a little bit cause my feet hurt. Whatevs. At least I finally get to get some fresh air and split some wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment