Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Old Hat

March 10: Day 2

My first full day at the school. It was decent. Quite fucking familiar. I did a fair amount of the grunt work for the teachers: putting up posters, reaching for high things, covering bulletin boards so there's no cheating during the state assessment tests, grading tests and entering them on computers. I also helped out where I saw fit with the kids, showing a math or computer trick here and there and perfecting my teacher/parent "look." The look that will stop a kid immediately when they're doing something they know they shouldn't. It's a fun part of growing up I guess.
Point of ponderance: Kids are really growing up fast. These 3rd graders are doing probabilities in math and learning about onomatopoeia in english. Madness.
Final note: Fitness is going swimmingly. I took our first of 7? PT test yesterday and did pretty damn well. We were timed a minute each for pushups and situps. I did 37 pushups and 39 situps. 100% completion for pushups is 36 and situps 40. I hope to raise them both to 45 for the next test. We also did a mile run. I came in at 8:03. It was the first time I've ever run a timed mile in under 10 minutes. The boy is proud. And today I went for a lovely 5mile jog walk along the water. I'm trying to up the wow factor when I see everyone again.

People aren't really commenting and I'm wondering if I'm writing interesting enough stuff, I'll write about anything as long as people ask.

3 comments:

  1. Mike- I think I learned what Omonomodopeeeeeeea was from my 8TH grad teacher. In fifteen years, your third graders are going to be super geniuses that will probably outcompete us both for jobs.

    Your nephew is a handful dude. He's pretty good, but the whole eating every two-three hours thing (around the clock) is starting to get a wee bit monotonous. No pun intended.

    He's fun to play with, but after about 5 minutes, he falls asleep. I guess all this stuff is better than crying constantly. Seriously though, we're all good, having fun, etc.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, by the way, the Columbus Blue Jackets beat the Bruins tonight, 2-0. It was a great game, 1-0 until an empty net goal with 30 seconds left. I have no idea if you ever watched or cared about the bruins ever, but I just had to tell that to someone who may actually care that the our NHL franchise took it to the Bruins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go with the fitness stuff Mike! < 10 minute mile! I've never been there!

    ReplyDelete